The Monthly Round Up #2

Thursday 28 May 2015

BLOG
This month has been a really fun month blogging-wise. I got to work with a brand for the first time which I think is an exciting milestone for all bloggers! If you haven't already, definitely check out my The Staycation & The Dress post, a mix of summer plans and the £10/€15 dress from George@Asda you can wear pretty much everywhere. I was a little apprehensive of doing the post at first, because I would say I'm far from a fashion blogger, but I really enjoyed doing it (though it took me quite a few takes!), and the reception the post received was so much better than anything I'd hope for! 

It got me to thinking about mixing in more fashion-orientated pieces into my blog, because fashion is a part of life - we wear clothes no matter what we're doing, and it'd be fun to share with you all my love of lounge wear and pyjamas! But first, I think it's about time that I got a new camera, as I've been really frustrated with the qualities of my pictures of late. Once exams are over, the hunt for a new camera (hopefully my first DSLR! ) will begin. 

I also started setting aside time every day to spend at least half an hour commenting on blogs on my 'Bloglovin feed - and I'm really glad I did. Reading other blogs is a great source of inspiration (and a sure way to make your wishlists longer than they already are!) but I also feel like I'm getting much more out of the blogging experience by slowly becoming more involved in the community. I've also been spending a little more time on Twitter, and make an effort to schedule my tweets. I think once exams are over, I can really find a way to get into the whole social media thing. 

If you have a favourite Twitter chat you love to participate in, let me know! I'd love to join in. 

LIFE
If you hadn't guessed by this post, and this post, and this post...aaaaand this post, I've been busy revising this month as my exam session begins on the 1st June. In the spirit of doing things differently than I've done before, I made sure not to centre my entire life around revision: I'm aiming for my best this time around, not perfection (which, f.i.y. is not an attainable goal).

Other than making time for blogging and leaving the house for regular bouts of fresh air, last weekend I also attended The Cover Festival, Seneffe a local cover festival that is a pretty big deal to us locals. It's a two day festival, and the first day I was just your average attendee. Mister Cover confirmed that I do not like U2 (like, at all), Majestic Mojo & The Old Bananas taught me that swing covers are awesome and the double bass is sexier than the guitar, and Cookies & Cream made me realise that I love David Guetta and all things pop and there is nothing to be ashamed of. On the second day, I was a volunteer and I spent the day working at the entrance: I was in charge of VIP tickets and it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. VIP attendees can be quite cheeky, especially after they've already drunk someone else's drink tokens and come to claim they never got theirs! Overall it was a good two days, and I'm already planning on coming back next year and maybe volunteering at bigger festivals. Or attending them. Or both. 


I've been keeping up with exercise and I love Joanna Soh's workout videos to the point where they've actually become a reward for studying. Nothing like good intense interval cardio to make you feel alive. I also finished the Forza Multivitamins "for dieters". I wasn't impressed - but that's for another post. 


TV, MUSIC, ETC. 
I've not really been sitting down to watch television shows - I plan to binge on everything post-exams. I finish my exams on the 15th but I've been telling everyone the 17th because I don't plan on doing anything but hibernating, eating copious amounts of junk food and catching up on my favourites during those two days. (I'm not even watching Game of Thrones - can you believe it??) 

I did, however, get a Spotify Premium subscription in place of my Netflix one so I could have music to study along to and have been loving their playlists especially 'Have A Great Day' which gets me out of bed with songs and belting out 'Respect' by Aretha Franklin even if I'm half asleep or feeling cheerful about my perpetual singledom with The Supremes 'You Can't Hurry Love'. Similarly 'The Ultimate Throwback Party' has been great for in-shower listening with classics such as J-Kwon's 'Tipsy' and Shaggy's 'It Wasn't Me'. You might have noticed in my Staycation post that the 90s are having a revival in Ornella Land. 


READING
I've not really been reading anything other than my textbooks and blog posts this month. Susan Jeffers 'Feel The Fear...And Do It Anyway' has been relegated to toilet book status (before we scrolled on Twitter during that time, there were books) but it does mean that I have been getting daily doses of encouragement, however short they are. I doubt I'd have taken the opportunity to work with George or gone to the Cover Festival if I wasn't in the frame of mind to move past my fears and do them because I wanted to.

Here are the blog posts I really enjoyed this month:

Autumn Leaves | Find Your Voice 
Alzgalz | Lush Shampoo Bars 
Avec Danielle | Current Favorite Blogs 
Ana Celine Labod | The Best of French Pharmacy

What about you? What have you been up to this month? 

Also, I'd love any recommendations for first time DSLRs or on which are the best Twitter chats to join!

27 comments:

  1. great post

    Check out my new post
    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com
    Posts online about USA, Hawaii, South Africa, London...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your exams :D and I loved the Asda post!

    Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it, I was so nervous about posting it! x

      Delete
  3. great post, good luck. ciao gloria
    Gloriadressup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo not long until the exams are done! Revising is always such a pain right? I always love commenting on blogs, it definitely keeps me motivated and inspired to blog more, plus made lots of awesome blogger friends! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I'm just looking forward to exams being over. Same - I wasn't sure what I thought about it at first, but now I've gotten into the swing of it, I love my morning 45 mins just reading what other's have been writing :) x

      Delete
  5. Great post! By the way, your blog is beautiful!
    xo
    www.youngetbeautiful.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These type of posts are my favorite to read!

    Yousra | Mystic Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm glad to hear it! Thank you! x

      Delete
  7. Hello Ornella,

    this post is like from my life :D Except I already finished university :) Good luck with your exams and congratulation to your blog achievements!

    My cousin recently mentioned the Have A Great Day playlist to me and he told that is the only thing which helps him to get out of the bed. Agree, it really is a great playlist. And the book is pretty amazing. It was nice and easy reading.

    Cannot wait to read more from you!

    Have a nice day,
    Zuzana

    http://allquietonthedreamerfront.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And that playlist has gotten me through my revision session hands down, it deserves an award! And I feel like Spotify makes it bigger and better every week! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  8. I'll definitely check out those blog posts that you enjoyed! I love reading roundup posts like this that also recommend me some great stuff. Have a great day.
    Aleeha xXx
    www.halesaaw.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! The posts I mention are usually the ones where I'm like "wow, must bookmark that" and it's nice to catch up on the things you might have missed. Thank you for stopping by! :) x

      Delete
  9. OOoh, your exams are coming up soon? Yikes, good luck! My exams are just winding down luckily...Last two papers are next week. Good luck and study hard! <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish exams were slightly earlier here since everyone everywhere seems to have already finished finals week, but it's nearly over for me too - yay! x

      Delete
  10. great post! very interesting! thank you for sharing :)

    Love Peace and Shimmer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, I'm glad to hear it! x

      Delete
  12. This was great!:)) glad I found your blog Hun!! X

    www.kirstyjennifer.com
    Instagram @kirstyjennifer_

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! Thank you for sharing about your month~<3
    ~Kiyomi from kokorosasa

    ReplyDelete