This Week I've Been Listening To...

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Don't you just love it when you stick to resolutions? I recently made myself a promise to try and venture from my musical comfort zone and listen to new artists every week, no matter how much I think that I could probably listen to Hozier's 'Take Me To Church' on loop for the next five years (how great is that song?!). 

Not that venturing out of my musical comfort zone simultaneously got rid of my habit of songs that I really like on a loop. I rediscovered Lily Allen this week, and having already exhausted 'It's Not Me, It's You' back when it came out in 2009, it was the turn of 'Sheezus'. Though I'm not sure about the solidity of the feminism behind 'Hard Out Here', it's a catchy enough tune perfect for singing along to at the top of my lungs to whilst doing the washing, and the 'URL Badman' response to a critic is amusingly clever (though I haven't dug deep into the origin of the beef that sparked this witty tune). 'Wind Your Neck In' is an additional track on the Deluxe Edition that I would qualify as this album's 'F** U' but not quite as direct. I also like her little odes to Mr Cooper in the form of 'L8 CUMMR' and 'As Long As I've Got You'. All in all, Sheezus is an album giving a lesson if blasting 'Smile' in your bedroom was once (or still is) one of your pastimes.


I got this thing, gonna tie your tongue
Step in my ring, you'll be out round one
You want to feel what you cannot touch
You think it's love but you think too much
- Got It, Marian Hill


This week I've also been listening to: 

  • Long Way Down, Robert Delong
  • Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran
  • Lips Are Moving, Meghan Trainor
  • The Nights, Avicii
  • Dangerous, David Guetta
  • I Bet My Life, Imagine Dragons
  • Mess Is Mine, Vance Joy
  • Aferlife, Ingrid Michaelson
  • I Can't Stop Drinking About You, Bebe Rexha
  • Got It, Marian Hill
  • Running Behind, HOLYCHILD
  • I Followed You Home, Elliot Sumner
  • Time, Mikky Ekko
  • Lips, Marian Hill
  • Twenty-Something, Noah Gunderson

I am really liking Meghan Trainor at the moment. Her EP already had me hooked, and her music is so bubbly, fun and deewop-y. Not to mention her amazing voice. Same with Marian Hill; 'Lips' and 'Got It' are definitely worth a listen. I didn't realise Bebe Rexha was the singer on David Guetta's 'Yesterday' which I am still in major like with, and 'I Can't Stop Drinking About You' would make a great pre-drink song for a girl's night out. Guess this week I've been really loving the female artists! 

What have you been listening to this week? Anything from my list? I'd love any recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment