The Book Edit #1

Friday 24 October 2014

Another day, another post that I hope to make a regular feature on my blog! When I was younger I was an avid reader but then something happened when I started university and all of a sudden reading for fun went out of the window. However I've recently started reading with fervour again, and want to share with you what I've finished reading, what I'm reading and what's on my reading wishlist. H

Read

The Romantic Movement : Sex, Shopping and The Novel by Alain de Botton

In the Romantic Movement, you meet Alice. Alice meets Eric. They date for a long time. And then, for reasons they end. Alain de Botton uses their relationship to expose theories on the nature of love with chapter titles such as ‘In love with love’ or ‘Diving, Rousseau and Thinking Too Much’ that merge philosophy, psychology and fiction to create, what I think, is a truly fascinating thought-provoking read. I can’t find fault with de Botton’s writing style – in fact he’s fast become my favourite contemporary philosopher because of his way of sharing his thoughts without making it seem stuffy, academic and pretentious. I highly recommend this book if you’re a hopeless romantic like me and would like to see some of the questions you’ve always asked yourself about your relationships answered in an interesting, entertaining way. 

I don’t often find books I would re-read, but I’ve read this three times now and I daresay I will again. 


Rating: 5/5


Currently Reading

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

If you’ve not heard about this book which has recently been adapted into a film starring Ben Affleck, then we are chilling in two very different corners of the world. Like ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ by John Green, the hype surrounding it made me want to pick up a copy just to see what the fuss was all about. But unlike TFIOS, I actually find myself enjoying this story, and I just really, really need to find out where Amy is. Go pick up this book – now! 

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She “Learned” by Lena Dunham

Err…I’m not sure why I picked up this book. I’ve not even decided whether I like Lena Dunham or not and this book is only marginally helping because I think I like it when I really wanted to hate it, so naturally I'm angry at it for defying my expectations of crap-ness. I’ve wanted to write a memoir since I was fourteen and had done nothing of importance at all, so I applaud that she’s written one (we should al write memoirs). And it’s not terrible. But it’s terribly Lena. So if you can’t stand Girls, don’t read this. I cringe at the show, and I physically cringed at parts this book, but I’m apparently a masochist. 

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Am I the only one who always has a book for when I’m on the toilet? This is my current bog-book. Mainly because I want to read it – I’m a fan of Criminal Minds and Capote’s journalistic style, analysing everything about the family, the criminals and the repercussion of their murders in a sleepy Kansas Town in 1959 gives me that in book form – but it’s not one of those books that calls at me to rush it. So far, so good, though it did take me awhile to get into it.

Want To Read

Dear John by Nicolas Sparks

I never read The Notebook and I’ve only just finished watching it after years of telling myself I would. I’m not sure why I feel that I’ll like Dear John any better, but I like letters and love stories and I haven’t read or watched something soppy in awhile. This needs to be remedied. 

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

It’s a classic, it’s referenced in The Romantic Movement and it’s probably one of those books you should read before you die to find out why people were so scandalised in 1857 when it came out. Needless to say, I'm intrigued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment